Tuesday, November 20, 2007

In Memory of Uncle Gerry


Last week I traveled to Michigan to attend the memorial service of my Uncle Gerry. It was wonderful to spend time with family that I hadn't seen in years and also to be able to see Kristin again after three months. Uncle Gerry's memorial service was wonderful too. There was an honor guard who did a short and very interesting presentation and there were family members and old friends who spoke. I only knew one side of my Uncle - the family man and handsome younger brother of my dad. It was interesting to hear his colleagues reminisce about the businessman and friend that they knew. I always knew Uncle Gerry was very successful in the telecommunications industry. He was the Vice-President and General Manager of AT&T Australia, then VP and General Manager of AT&T Canada. After he retired from AT&T he was recruited to join Comstat International where he was Vice-President of Europe. But at the memorial service I learned from his co-workers that Uncle Gerry helped shape the telecommunications industry as we know it today. I learned that many of Uncle Gerry's ideas were incorporated by AT&T and later were copied by all the other telecommunications companies and became standard operating procedure for the entire telecommunications industry. His friends also spoke of how intelligent and highly respected my uncle was. It made me so proud to be part of his family. He will be missed by many.