Friday, May 2, 2008

Where Did the Years Go?

People always told me to hang onto my little girls and enjoy every minute. They said "they grow up too fast" and "these are the best years of your life." At the time it seemed like my life as the mom would go on forever. It was my new reality. I don't think I fully comprehended what they were saying until the past few years. And they were so right. Of course, it's impossible to enjoy every minute when you're in the midst of it. Sick kids, sleepless nights, bad attitudes and temper tantrums are not something to look forward to. But now that I'm almost through raising my sweet little girls, I totally understand what they were trying to tell me. Jenna will graduate this month and next fall Kim and I will be official empty-nesters. I can't say I enjoyed every minute, but overall I have to admit that the years since Kristin was born have truly been the happiest years of my life and that makes this transition a little hard for me. I'm so proud of both of my girls and I know that no matter what - my life has been blessed by their presence.

10 comments:

Angie said...

What a touching post, Martha you brought tears to my eyes.

Your favorite daughter said...

I love you mommy :)

Taryn said...

Oh my, I was tearing up reading your thoughts and seeing the photos of your beautiful girls--imagining how your heart must feel. Then, to see your daughter's comment to you...Well, the tears fell out of my eyes. I pray you and your family will continue to feel blessed.

Carol A. said...

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you Martha!!!!

Jules said...

This is a lovely tribute to your daughters and, if you know it or not, to you as a mother and your deep love for your girls.

My kids left the next within 4 days of each other: Rob moved to Florida and four days later, we took Kristen to college over four hours away. I should have taken out stock in Kleenex...I cried for a week.

Carolyn said...

I'm a little misty too here!! Hugs to you my friend!!

Deb said...

Hugs to you Martha! What a beautiful post about your beautiful girls!

Tam, I am said...

Beautiful post Martha!

Gina Hanson said...

Martha, you should be very proud of the Beautiful ladies your girls grew into! You and Kim did a wonderful job raising them . . . can you tell me how to survive the middle school years??? LOL :)

Tami said...

Gosh, you're making me cry!!!! I can so relate to the fact that all of motherhood is not glorious -- always something to deal with -- but even though my kiddos are still little I can see how the years are flying by. Travis already enters high school next year...EEEK!! He turned three when I first dated Dave! Hugs to you, Martha, and I'm sure you'll start to enjoy that next phase in life :D