Thursday, April 22, 2010

Scrap Room Re-Do

Since last Fall, I've been distracted and too busy to motivate myself to do any scrapping at all. I finally came to the conclusion that my scrap space was part of the problem. Instead of it being my refuge and retreat, it had become a cluttered mess that I hated to enter. I didn't have the budget for a big re-do, and I especially didn't want to repaint the room, so I decided to start by de-cluttering.

The room used to be a patio outside the kitchen which had been enclosed by previous owners. Windows and doors make up three of the walls, leaving only one wall for storage space or shelving units. There is very little storage space and way too many windows, but I had to work with what I had. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, because even though I hated the room, I still felt very lucky to have a dedicated scrap space that I didn't have to set up (and pick up) every time I felt creative.

So . . . Here is my re-created space. I cut up the old curtains and recycled the white fabric with new black and white toile on the tops. I used peg board to hang embellishments and scissors, spray painted my previously bright-colored storage containers black, white, or black and white crackle, decoupaged my priority mail boxes and little storage containers with black and white papers, re-sewed throw pillows using black and white fabric and covered my folding and kitchen chairs with black and white chair covers. It may not compare with a lot of the awesome scrap spaces I've seen out there, but it's clean, organized and comfortable and it was done on a shoe-string budget . . . and that's all I need.









2 comments:

Taryn Lopshire said...

Martha, WOW, your space looks fantastic!! It must have been rewarding to redo it, and motivating to get you scrapping! I love it!

Jenelle said...

Looks awesome, can't wait to see all the masterpieces you will be creating!